Wednesday, September 5, 2012

A trio of chestnuts

When I was initially horse shopping back in 2002, I was sick of chestnut mares. The pony I owned at the time (almost a carbon copy of Sincere marking-wise) was schizoid at best (poorly bred, slightly neurotic National Show Horse...) and pulled a Thewell mob hit more than once.

When we figured out she wasn't going to remotely be a dressage horse I made my list initially of what I wanted, at the top was 16.2, black, gelding and stupid.

Instead I got 14.1 flaxen chestnut and mare, Sinari. To add to the humor, we found her in a resting tobacco field. She's so far been the most successful purchase, and has a permanent retirement home when she decides enough is enough.

When I did try to do the big black route I ended up not where I expected... two dislocated shoulders and a long drive home for Valentines Day dinner.

This was followed by Bella, the blonde haflinger that I rode briefly and then Sincere who arrived in 2009 after breeding two bays, again hoping for a slightly more blingy black/bay.

You plan and God laughs. 

Now we have Reba's Song. Another blingy, small, chestnut mare.

Reba is an interesting one already, by far the best quality I've had in the last 10 years she is an easy 8.5 on gaits and a work ethic to match.We're still in the getting to know you phase, but she's massively fun already.


3 comments:

Judi said...

She's a beaut--that's for sure. I have had terrific luck with chestnuts, myself--though my latest is black. Chestnuts are much easier to keep clean.

Judi
Author of "Trail Training for the Horse and Rider" and "Trail Horse Adventures and Advice"

JJ said...

She is gorgeous!!

Jeni said...

Congrats !!!