Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Go your own way

I've been avoiding blogging for the past few weeks, namely, time (clinic, clinic and show), and to be quite frank, I really didn't want to recap things or make goals or do much of anything. Even training, no matter how progressive as it's had become, was a drag.

I've officially hit seasonal funk and it's only June.

It's not like I didn't see this coming, a so-so show debut at 4th (55,6; 56,5) in the nasty 100 degree weather put a huge damper on things, dealing with the drama of work, organizing and a few other items has also left me a little more or less worn out and running for cover. I had my first weekend off in eight weeks and didn't know what to do with myself.

But with no regular lessons to keep us going at a critical juncture/push, and the next big days for travel in July, the wide expanse of June seems intimidating, if not boring.

It's not a negative thing, in fact there's a bunch of positivity about what had happened and what continues to as well.

Sinari has progressed and is gaining huge amounts of condition. When the weather holds, and there isn't a hay crop being harvested, we're up to six miles of trot and canter sets about two days a week. She officially beats the off the track thoroughbreds. Hoping that we'll get up to about eight miles before it's all through.

In the arena, the upped balance point and running through all the test elements at least once a session has helped. I've asked her to become hotter and wouldn't you know it, the little girl has it. I just need to go back to Sesame Street to learn to count my tempis.

The show wasn't a waste either. I can see why people can easily get bummed about mid-50's. Not showing since last July, we were, very, terribly out of practice and at a new level to boot. So while it didn't meet our goals of above 60, everything is fixable.

During the show she dug in and really did try to work it, but didn't have enough gas in the tank. It was my stupid fault for the warm up routine in that kind of heat. That our mistakes (pir's and accidentals fours) were really easy to clean up mistakes. The judges were really positive about the comments and talking to them after helped a ton as well. We're in review mode and I'll be darned if we don't crack 60's by July.

Sincere, despite showing that he was a turkey during the Hess clinic (just took him out to lunge in a new place) really is doing exceptionally well for his age. He has a ton of swing and three very elastic gaits. Just no topline to speak of to really sustain it. Plus he keeps trying. What's not to like about a horse that just keeps digging to find the right answer? He's looking less immature and more up hill and horse like everyday.

Even had an email from his dam's owner. May is doing really well, and is even going under saddle. I can't wait to see her again, it's been three years.

Being alone doesn't mean you don't limit your progression, it means you find different ways of adapting to progress.

I'm terribly manic about a few things, and one of them is staying as goal-oriented as possible. I think that's how I've managed to drive the ponies to this point, just get from point a to point b and work your ass off in between. Every. 30. Days.

Not having eyes on the ground, or being able to ask questions to your coaches (they've honestly been busy), when the expectation has been up has been really difficult. But it also makes you independent and much stronger. I still have questions, and experiences I want them to relate to, but right now their pursuing their own goals.

No comments: