Saturday, September 20, 2014

This is how we do

A few weeks ago, I took a road trip up to the middle of nowhere on a lead on a horse who bloodlines
were really nice. I seen the ad floating around for a little while. The video wasn't a selling point, it was utter blurry crap, and the photos really didn't do her any favors.

This chance trip was right before I was supposed to step foot on a plane to Europe to go look at horses for the same clients (my trip is on, just pushed back), so really, I didn't expect much considering the quality that the poor beast was being stacked up against. But I went anyways, needing to get out of town for the day and away from my day-to-day stuff.

The trip which I thought would just be a jaunt in and out, turned out to be more than your typical three hour tour. It was a 10 hour round trip which included a few torrential storms and ending up in a soybean field next to some cows at one point.

In a way, it reminded me a lot of the trip I took to initially look at Sinari about 12 years ago, eerily enough, same week as well.

She was a leggy, modern, statuesque filly. Highly aware of everything and everyone. Adventurous, unafraid, and already fairly bored with people around her, but always affectionate.

Flash forward through the oddest try out, scrambling to find a vet to travel out to the middle of nowhere, a shipper and several laundry lists of things to do in the meantime- she's mine.

Haiku G., by the epic, proven combination Jazz out of an Olympic Ferro mare, is now apart of Team EnGaged Dressage. She is a diva in the making, and everything the breeding represents.

It has been a long and strange journey, but honestly, it's only just started. I'm sorry I don't have pictures to reflect her (cell phones just don't cut it these days), but they'll come with time.

Speaking of mare power, Sinari is back in action. We're clear to start legging up three days a week, at 10 minute increments. I started back yesterday and it was already so much fun to be sitting behind those little foxy ears. She's lost a lot of her original fitness, looking more like a fuzzy beach ball than a dressage pony. True to form, she was her old self. A little hot to start, but settled in to the work of walking laps like the old pro that she is.  I think she's just happy to get her spice drops.

Danzador continues to progress forward, as much as I want to crack him into second level, I want the mediums to be much stronger and sitting before I go there. So far, they're good, but he can't sustain the power for a full 60 meters, so we'll keep this at schooling show level until he gets the strength. His canter work is fabulous as always, confirmed all the third level work off of him minus changes. Half passes are playful, and he's doing large walk pir's once a week.   I desperately wanted him to have his changes more confirmed this year- however, like every five year old out there, he just needs maturity and strength before he seriously starts tackling them. He has a show in two weeks, just training and first level, so no big deal for a horse that is confirmed out the majority of the work way above him.

2 comments:

Holly said...

Isn't it funny how it seems to happen that way? Congrats! Can't wait to see pictures of her.

emma said...

congrats on the new mare! can't wait to see her :)

good luck at the show with Danzador too