Sunday, October 23, 2011

Hair

Sinari's nick name with several people is Tina Turner. Same diva attitude, same hair.

On a good day, the volume of it trumps that of one of those candy floss cones you get at the carnival, on a bad day, it's more like Bride of Frankenstein.

It's extremely pretty, and, occasionally an extreme pain in the ass.

Traditionally, the pony has always sported a long running, french braid when working. She works five or six days a week, which means five or six days of braiding. You get pretty quick about doing it, my best time was five minutes with 28 sections. 

Normally, when a horse is in work with me, long manes get chopped. Many an Andalusian, Lusitano, Haflinger and Freisan mane went by the wayside. I My mother insisted otherwise on this one.

So, for the last eight years, I've been braiding. Every ride.

Since April, I was debating about giving it the old chop and pull. She has a lovely topline and neck that supports the buttons, and would compliment her build.

And, then today, then I bit the bullet, and did it.


It felt much like cutting off of Aslan's mane, or something short of what I did three or four years ago to myself. I ended up with a foot of soft blonde mane and a lot of pulling ahead of me. It also now looks like she had more topline because of the weight and curl of it.

2 comments:

starrynights said...

I have the same dilemma with my Welsh Cob mare. I think she looks much more attractive with a short "do" but her mane is so darned thick that even with extensive pulling, button braids are nearly impossible. I grew it out last year in order to do a running braid, but that got old really fast.

It's funny, I call my girl "Tina Turner" too! Especially if she shakes and her hair goes POOF all over the place...

Kelly said...

I always say my mare has 'black girl hair' - very thick, coarse dense. I bit the bullet and cut and pulled it this summer and I love it on my warmblood x tb!