Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Boot camp

I've been at a cross roads for sometime.

On one hand my barn and life is pretty good on the other hand, I'm not progressing to the point where I'm being challenged.

Before the Hess clinic, I had made up my mind to take six weeks, move house and go to a friend's barn and just train. It's the first time I've ever done this, probably not the last. But it's my effort to actually give what I want a shot. So out I went to start a sojourn. This is my test to see if I can hack it.

Clinic ended Sunday, the girl had a single day off and today, well, today we were back at it.

The pony didn't know what to make of the mirrors, the good footing and the fact that being the shortest, chesnuty horse in the barn award went to her. She has turnout again. I think she honestly died and went to pony heaven.The fact her stall is twice as big as her one at home probably tickles her as well.

But as the saying goes, the more beautiful, the more work it is.

The last four days have been a feeding frenzy of nervous energy. I didn't know what to expect, or how to expect, or what to do. So finally the day came when I got to tack up, ride out and work our tails off. It was a relief.

Immediately the stirrups and whip was yanked and a few more institutions were added. We spent a solid 35 minutes working at the trot without stirrups, complete with lateral work. Canter work was really nice and spent another 15 to 20 minutes working through that. All good, pony improved after and for the next two days while JK is out, we have work. A lot of work. 

No comments: