Saturday, January 22, 2011

Lay me down

I've been running nonstop since the L program and today was the first day I experienced sleep past 7 am. But the pleasure was interrupted by my alarm and no fresh pot of coffee waiting downstairs. It was further punctuated by cold floors, frosted windows and no remote starter for the car outside.

Winter has revisited us in the Bluegrass, and this time it struck with single digit temps and more ice. The three day window that I had for riding was promptly nixed due to the errands and other items that weren't taken care of while I was away.When the weather closed in on Thursday I knew the ponies and I were officially down with cabin fever.

The weather never really bothers me in regards to plans, but it did manage to cause a bit of stress when it came to today.

Today we were taking Sincere off the property for the first time by himself. Normally, we would have waited until spring to attempt things like this, when the weather is warmer- but this was a long standing, and very overdue appointment.

Today we castrated Sincere. It was a decision that I had made in November.

After discussing this with my vet, I had opted to do this not on the farm, but at a hospital.

I've seen both sides of the spectrum when it comes to gelding. I've seen everything go absolutely well and look like they haven't been touched and then I've seen horses keel over and die from sepsis, post-surgery colic and be crippled from having stifles and joints torqued out.

I wasn't going to run that risk, and even though it was twice as expensive, I'm at least sleeping tonight.

He shipped well and acted incredibly mature for his age, the attending barn manager was helpful throughout the process and he settled in about 10 minutes into the entire check-in ordeal.

We left, had brunch, got the call that he's now incapable of reproducing- and we have the option of picking him up today or tomorrow. We opted tomorrow. I checked in on him around one, and he was happy, bright, alert. Demanding his usual cookie. On enough pain killers that he probably doesn't realize what just went on down there.

The only thing that had bothered him was the straw. For the life of him he couldn't understand why anyone would put that much inedible hay in front of him and that deep. He eventually figured it out to his disappointment that the vet's barn wasn't not an all-you-can-eat buffet.

Now for that paperwork...

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Bye bye balls!

Val said...

My mare ate the bland straw diligently until her stay at the hospital was over. I hope your boy mends up fast!