earlier post about grooming kits inspired this.
My work has been on a Japanese-styled cleaning kick for the past year or so. While I don't believe in using miles of colorful electrical tape to organize my life, I believe in being well prepared and keeping things as simple as possible. I've been delaying the deep-clean for sometime, but the onset of snow yesterday caused me to speed things up.
This weekend, I went all my supplies this week, tossing out the ones I haven't used, or are expired, and making note of the ones I need to refill on.
I packed away the stuff that is seasonal and transported it home, I took my halters and some equipment in for repair, I oiled, greased, raked, stacked, washed out, hung, dried, poured, reassembled and winterized just about everything near me.
Aside from winterizing the barn, I winterized the trailer I use. This rolling box on wheels pulls double duty as equine transporation, an over sized tack and changing room and sometimes hotel.
You literally stuff a temporary life in a space the size of a New York apartment.
Among the basics in the trailer I frequent is a broom, shovel, minor farrier equipment, step stool, extension cord, white board (for schedules, and phone numbers), flairs, a small bag of kitty litter (helps with stuck situations) rain gear, plug in for phone, collapsible chair, flashlight with fresh batteries, surge protector, a leatherman tool, bungee cords, fan, trailer/truck jack, trash bags, magnetic plate, WD 40, supply of towels, collapsible wheelbarrow, human first aid, horse first aid, fire extinguisher (I also carry one in my truck), equine paperwork, muck tub, fork, curly hose, various horse-show/travel only supplies, racking for bridles/saddles, camping supplies (tent, bed roll, pillow, mess kit, and sleeping bag), food/water, Crisco, and buckets for food and H20.
This winter I did a few things differently, to start, I re-parked and chalked it in the open, on gravel. Kentucky mud is notoriously sticky and hard to get out of. Last winter, when we had the ice storm, we were deep in mud until May and around felled trees. It was even hard with a 4x4. If I have something this winter, I don't want to spend three hours with the owner digging the trailer out.
Inspected all the seams and framework. I pulled out the mats, inspected the floor and gave it a thorough sweep. Ditto with the mats. I put plastic lining in the windows to keep out snow. Inspected, WD'ed/greased the hitch, put the muck tub, over it and the electrical to keep away moisture and put the lock back on the receiver. I inspected and covered the spare tire and the regular tires were re-inflated. All hinges also got a healthy dose of WD and grease. It'll be due for inspection and possibly a re-pack in the spring.
Instead of leaving my much-abused supplies from above to rot over the next three months, I inspected and repacked everything in Rubbermaid containers with cedar blocks and a small bag of salt. I removed all old paperwork to be filed at the house and took whatever dirty laundry home as well.
Felt very accomplished at the end of all this.