Sunday, November 15, 2009

I ain't no millionaire's son


It's been Indian Summer all week. While I've donned light sweatshirts and rolled up my jeans to get my work done without breaking a sweat, I can't help but sitting out in the sun.

Even the horses seem to be enjoying the last bit of fall.

Sincere was great this week.

We took a break from the usual routine of going in the arena. Instead after leading out of the field, we just went in the grooming stall, and, for the first time in recent memory, in an actual stall.

The last few weeks have been a bit back and forth with him. He's young, and it's to be expected.

But, I think this week, we've reached a turning point.

In the field he was lagging behind. I had no whip on me (or food), just the cotton lead rope attached to his halter, which after circling once, he got the point that going forward isn't an option.

He lead extremely well after that. No pulling of the human or the horse, and no running backwards. I can't tell you how pleasant it was to just walk along side him without having to kick up a fuss.

Everything was fine until we had to go up to the truck. Like most people, my truck is a mobile tack room. I have my clippers, treats, supplies, laundry and of course, the occasional Grande dirty chai from Starbucks cooling off in the drink holder.

Most, if not all horses that I ride or work with need to go near this truck due to being absent minded. I usually forget something, whether it be my boots, or the sugar cubes to pay the pony. Being young, he doesn't quite all together understand the concept of ground tying. So he's attached while I'm rummaging for his supplies. 

He walked up and stood as I got in the truck to search for the infernal saline solution for five minutes, never once pulling back or trying anything.

At this point, I'm ready to quit, he's been great.

But I wanted him to go into the grooming stall and just stand up for a few and get used to the idea of being fed in a stall.

He walks in, occasionally stopping, thinking and moving on. We get into the area and he's fairly pushy, wanting to be in everything and everyone. It doesn't take long to settle him in and walk him out to the regular stall for his feed and a tap session.

Sincere is hesitant about regular stalls. He has been for a while. Probably because aside from being born in one, he hasn't spent too much time in them. He went in with a little reluctance, but after getting his food he settled in. I start playing with him, Endo Tapping him, picking up his feet and just touching him all over. Afterward, we lead by the giant blue tarp of doom (scary in the first three seconds, giant plaything in the next two) and over some logs and trotted back to the paddock.

Aside from a little screaming, he was a star. 

No comments: