Friday, March 27, 2009

Down but not out.

I remember when I was little, a sick day was something to have. You sat at home, parentals would manage your comfort and watch TV. However, being an adult and being ill is not only distinctly miserable, but the fun lies in the negative regions on the scale of fun stuff to do.

If you haven't gotten the hint- I'm ill with whatever little bubonic plague carrying cow workers' offspring passed along. Normally I don't get sick either, but the huge stress of what was going on at work and lacking sleep over last weekend, I think it just accumulated. I hate killing off the eight hours from work because I want to use the time more constructively... like going on vacation, or enjoying it while not suffering from virus-inducing coughing fits. It needed to be done. Such is life.

But not all is wasted sitting at home. I ordered her full bridle bits from across the pond. It was a sweet deal too- 60 US for both bits. I'm looking for an extra set of reins for the snaffle bit, the bridle came with plain, sewn reins and I can't working with a set. So I ditched one pair (gave to a friend) and I want something with stops and preferably rubber. I also talked to Enter at A Jewelry (local girl who also rides) and I'm having her make Sinari's browband.

Despite recovering, I am still riding. Sinari went back to work Tuesday with a hack on a long rein, the proceeded to turn in two very good works on Wednesday and Thursday. The pony came back fine from the show itself, seemed less tired too. She's just a super star in the making.

With this month-long lull of no shows/no events, I've re-started the changes (which she seems to get at the moment), cleaning up the half pass, and working on the uber-collected (canter on the spot) canter to micro pir's. Definately cleaned up the left side "I can't do straight" senario and the mediums which are strengthening now that she's back on home turf. By the time Meadow Lake rolls around, she'll be good to go.

May is almost down to a month (April 10th) and I'm getting scared and excited and the two emotions have become increasingly mixed. I'm not scared of the foal, I'm know the team I have in place does an excellent job and has a super post-natal care plan in place. I'm sure the thing will pop out with all the parts in all the right areas. I know I can handle the ground training, and getting everything initially into the right place.

What I'm scared of is the unknown. I have been for a long time now.

I'm more concerned three years down the line when my ambitions start rearing again. I make no qualms that, if I still have the foal when it turns four, then I want an FEI young horse candidate or, in the very least, an FEI candidate.

I'm horribly scared that the thing will be 17 hands and have THE worst behavior. That it will distinctly HATE dressage and be a candidate for Fugly Horse of the Day. The Tennessee stud nightmares have stopped, but I think they've been replaced with more realistic ones. Which, in my opinion, are worse.

The even weirder thing is that with Sinari's impending embryo transfer, I have more solid feeling about the results than the current scheduled bundle of joy.

I think it stems from riding my gelding, who I bought as a three year old, backed as a four year old and sold him when he was five. On paper and tape, he trumped Sinari, and was ironically something that I orginally wished for (big, black and excellent potential). I bought him privately with money I regret spending from my trust account.

In the end though, he trumped me by ditching me a few times. He hated dressage, hated contact, hated using himself. I wanted him to be my FEI horse very badly, he wanted to be anything else. But, in the end, he went to a fox hunter's home in Virginia, and we were all happy.

I learned a lot from him, and from my first pony, Jammie. They taught me upper-level dressage (and the sport in general), isn't for every horse. Yes, while you can incorporate the principles, and the exercises, competitive dressage, just like any other sport in it's pure form, is tough and takes a specific individual to do it. In other words, three quarters of the game is mental and if you don't have an individual who has that brain- forget it.

So while there is a bottle of prosecco and ice wine up for grabs I'll be doing hard shots of something when I have to step into the irons for the first time.

1 comment:

Karen said...

I may see you at Meadow Lake! I know my barn is going there, and I may get to take a greenie (not T-Bone) ... if we are ready by then.