Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Shaved pony

Since the weather turned a bit south (rain) for the day but still was warm, I thought I touch up the pony's styling. We have a show in a week, and frankly I don't want to look like we pulled ourselves out of the field from po-dunk.

The problem with ponies in general is that they love to prepare for the winter. Even if they live in the south. Sinari grows hers starting in October, and doesn't stop until woolly mammoth status is fully achieved. Next to her barn mates (Quarter Horses), she is a giant teddy bear.

She was initially clipped in October because she was in full work and cooling out/coping with the odd weather changes is just too much. I have only recently recovered from the initial shave, only to repeat it again today with much amusement.

The body clippers I was using temporarily died (the motor would turn but the blades wouldn't), so because the mare was tranqued, and I paid for it, I wasn't going to let a perfectly good moment go to waste. I went to my backup clippers, that were meant to be used for just jowels, fetlocks and minor work.

It was like polishing a hallway with a toothbrush.

I managed to get a little under half done, silently praying that the damn things wouldn't fall apart or the blades wouldn't crap out.

Someone in the karma department took pity on me and sent a friend with much more knowledgeable mechancial know-how came by, fixed them and I was back in business, finished clipping two hours later, covered in hair and removing the two pounds of it off the floor.

I have to say though, this is my sixth time body clipping Sinari, and her coat hasn't looked this fabulous. I've been feeding Glazen 5, a coat supplement. I've fed coat supplements before (oil, black as knight, flax, ect) without much success. A friend tossed Glazen over to me in sample packets, and I reupped them in the Smartpak form for the last three months.

On the side I really didn't think it would work, I thought it was just another supplement. But the deep bloom even in her long winter coat was there, but I really didn't see it until I clipped her completely out. Even under the low lights she glowed under her muscles.

Can't help but smile with a beautiful mare.

Afterward I headed on over to see May, now in her 8th month. Bigger, more pregnant than ever. Part of me is excited about this. another part of me is ultra scared about the results. But either way, her time is quickly approaching whether I like it or not.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I wanna see pictures of the Big Pregnant Mare! And the Now Naked Mare too ;) I love a fresh body clip.