Sunday, January 11, 2009

When it rains it pours

Mud season started early with rain and apparently snow and my old wellies really need a make over.

Normally, this time of year is off because the outdoor is either frozen, under water or various states of disgusting.

I wouldn't know, since I'm at an indoor facility. But the mud is horrendous. Horrendous to the point of slipping is becoming habit and the horses are becoming sore from loosing their footing. Grooming has been an interesting experience.

Sinari has become sore from slipping out in the paddock, and we're on a walk regime. It's not a bad thing, she's becoming much more forward and we can concentrate on lateral work, halts, rein backs, pirouette work.

It's also the start of breeding season. Everyone is finalising their choices for their 2010 babies. Stallion shopping is a fabulous, nerve racking experience. I'm expecting my first in late-spring 2009. I plan not re-breeding directly, but am thinking about trying an embryo transfer.

Between my hypothetical matings, I had a small reality check. A good friend, and fairly important breeder asked the following:

Why do you want to breed this mare?

Truth be told, I love her.

Alright, love is nice, but what about her makes her so special she should reproduce? Why let her reproduce instead of buying something already on the ground?

In short, Sinari one of two sisters. The other one is in Oregon being a career mum. Her dam is alongside the sister and is not being bred to the right sire to produce more. Her sire is gelded. Sinari is the only mare of her breed training and competing at the level she's at. She's highly competitive, has tested well with verbands, and is continually proving herself in and out of the arena. She will be FEI and the breed needs more proven mares and less career mothers. She's conformationally sound, easy going and I wouldn't mind having a million carbon copies of her.

She is a valuable individual, on a personal and professional basis and would only give back to her community.

At that point I think I received blessings.

My biggest fear (aside from utter failure and breeding a FHOTD feature) is I become like every other breeder out there that I end up with more horses than I'd know what to do with and I'd be cash strapped at every turn. To the point where I wouldn't be able to achieve competitive goals.

My long term goal is to create a small band of pony mares that have not only proven pedigree, but are proven themselves. I want their offspring to always be in demand and be known more for the damline than the sire line.

But mostly, I just want FEI ponies.

No comments: